Insurance for the Central Valley - CA Lic# 0596517

History

Our mission is to be the foremost provider of insurance and related services.

This agency was founded in 1913 as the G. H. Winton Insurance Agency.  At that time, Mr. Winton was the cashier at the First Bank of Livingston.  The insurance business was only a sideline for several years.

In 1924, Mr. Winton resigned his bank position to devote full time to his insurance agency.  Little did he know that 30 years later he would again be working in the First Bank of Livingston building; this time owning the building and his own business.  That office at 503 Main Street (it was Third Street until 1989) still houses our Livingston office.

Upon returning home from service in World War II, Keith Winton joined his father’s business.  In 1954, they formed a partnership and changed the name to Winton Insurance Agency.  At that time, the agency also sold real estate, completed income tax returns, acted as a Notary Public, and even collected consumer payments for PG&E and the City of Livingston.

Keith Winton purchased his father’s interest in 1956. By 1975, the business limited its sales activities to general insurance and life insurance.

Mike Ireland joined the company in 1973, and became a partner in 1974.  In 1975, the partnership purchased the F. W. Andrew Insurance Agency, and opened a second office in Turlock.  Keith Winton died in 1983, but not before he saw the company enjoy a 650% increase in business from the time he started.

Rick Adams, a native of Turlock, joined the agency in 1985 as Business Manager / Account Executive.  He was made a shareholder and officer of the corporation in 1987.

In January 2013, the agency will be celebrating our 100th anniversary.

STROM & GREEN INSURANCE AGENCY

After years in the grocery business, Dewey W. Green purchased a small book of business from a Preferred Risk Mutual agent in Turlock.  The year was 1964.  As the agency grew, he purchased another book of business from Ed Backman in 1967, and the Fred Caulkins Agency in 1970.

By 1971, the agency name was changed from Dewey W. Green Insurance to Green’s Insurance Agency.  Dewey’s son, Ted L. Green, joined the agency about the same time, and became a partner in 1972.  In July, 1977, as Dewey approached retirement, he sold his interest to his son Ted, and E. Marvin Strom.  Shortly after, the name was changed to Strom & Green Insurance Agency.

In September, 1988, the two agencies formed Winton-Ireland, Strom & Green Insurance Agency. After Strom & Green moved into Winton-Ireland’s office at 116 S. Center, it didn’t take long to realize a much larger building was necessary; we were bulging at the seams.

For more than a year, the Turlock employees endured the cramped quarters at 116 S. Center Street. But it was well worth the wait.  In October, 1990, after a long year of planning, construction and remodeling, the old Church of Christ property at 627 E. Canal was finally ready to be the new Turlock home for Winton-Ireland, Strom & Green Insurance Agency.

Currently, the Turlock office has the main building as described above, with two other office suites on the property, and a total work force of 85 employees at this location.

JAMES QUINN & SONS INSURANCE AGENCY

James F. Quinn entered the life insurance industry in 1945.  Seeking expansion to property and casualty lines, Mr. Quinn obtained an appointment with Aetna in 1950.  Between 1950 and 1966, the agency grew to about $200,000 in premiums while located in the 2nd story of the Black Building at 1115 I Street in Modesto.

In September, 1966, son Tom joined the agency.  In 1968, James Quinn & Sons purchased the Clarence Johnson Agency and moved to a new location at 1105 14th Street.  Six years later, the agency purchased Riverbank Insurance Agency at 6717 3rd Street in Riverbank.

In 1977, James Quinn & Sons purchased the L.T. Moss Agency, which was established in Modesto in 1901.  We still have some accounts evidencing continuous coverage through generations back to 1901.

In January of 1978, son Jeff joined the agency.  In December, 1981, the agency was incorporated and its founder, James F. Quinn, retired.  In June of 1984, daughter Nancy joined the agency.

On Thanksgiving weekend, 1991, the agency moved to its current location at 1100 14th Street, Suite C in Modesto.

On January 1, 1993, the agency merged with Winton-Ireland Insurance Agency, Inc.  The Modesto office has 15 employees working at this location.

UNDERWOOD INSURANCE AGENCY

The Underwood Insurance Agency was established in Oakhurst in 1961 under the direction of Tommy Underwood.  Robin Underwood, Tommy’s son, joined his father in 1978.  Robin affiliated with Winton-Ireland in 1994, shortly after Tommy retired.  Robin is joined by his wife Diane. The office services the Sierras and surrounding area providing a full line of insurance products.

Top